10.11.2007

I believe...


I have had this post in my draft section for over two weeks trying to make sense of it all.

There are many people I want to thank for your curiousity and concerns regarding my thoughts and feelings about the current situation in Burma. It was headline news for awhile only to drop out of mind and sight to so many as the junta has cut off most, if not all, communication from a country and its people who are trying so desperately to find some sense of peace in this mess of a place since the regime.

Paul and I were there only a month in 2003 and I don't know that I could write down what this country and its people helped me to see, but it was beautiful. It was the last month of our time in SE Asia. Aung Sun Su Kyi was captured (again) just days before we got there, my grandmother passed away while we couldn't communicate with the rest of the world (there was no internet at the time), we bribed airport officials and spent our money on the black market, we rode 24 hour overnight buses to holy temples that were well worth the feelings of broken bones and horrible B grade movies ringing in our ears, visited tea houses with armed guards standing out front, and came across the most delightful, warmest people who would take you in and give you everything when they had nothing.

The picture is of Sule Pagoda from the window of our guest house when we were in Yangon. From sun up to sun down, you could watch men, women, monks, and children circling this holy sight. (It was easier to watch from the window as you wouldn't have to worry about the rats in the street scampering over your feet). This is where many of the marches that last couple of weeks have started, ended, and continued amidst tear gas and shots fired.

Please listen, look and don't forget what is happening there because my heart believes that peace is possible with your help.

2 comments:

highdesertsultan said...

thank you...i'm praying for peace -katie

Mom/Mimi said...

Let there be peace and love on this earth. Mom/Mimi