1.20.2009

"Knucks"...



I had this history teacher in high school (Nelson help me out here with his name) who told our class that our generation would be a part of more historical moments than any other and man was he right. I have been in awe, inspired, and brought to tears so many times today.

I cried with one of my clients who is bound to a wheelchair after a coma and decided to kick alcohol and all the drugs you can name on his own because he hopes there is better place for him, I cried because Paul heard the inauguration speech with Spencer and Sahalie and had the chance to explain in his own words what it means to him, and I cried because I am so grateful to be a part of this historic moment that is alive with optimism and hope for the future.

There are so many things that touched my heart today and I am sure there will be many more that will reveal itself in time, but for me Spencer said it best when he picked up a rusty button that someone tossed on the side of the road and said "Look mama, Obama is giving her knucks". You got it baby....knucks.

3 comments:

Maya and Ian said...

Hmmm...the only history teachers I remember are Mr. Bell and Mr. Jensen...

I cried when I read your post. Nicely put. Oh, and "knucks" made me laugh. Nice job Spencer.

psss said...

C'mon....he went to Westpoint because he told us ALL the time and his kid who was a year ahead of us ended up going to Westpoint too. His son had a different name that I can't remember either. Ring any bells? OH, it's coming to me....Raif?

Maya and Ian said...

Rafe Hart...what a name